Home Page

8th June 2020

Good Morning,


I was expecting school to return to some kind of ‘new normal ‘ with children in Nursery (those starting school in September) and Reception coming back to school this morning.


However late on Friday night I received a phone call informing me that the re-opening of school would be delayed for at least two week so school might re-open on the 22nd June. This decision was made by the LA because


Following government advice, one of the five tests we set ourselves was that the R value was below 1 before schools returned. Until this afternoon that was the case.


This new assessment provides a significant red warning light that two of the government’s own 5 tests that had to be met before restrictions were eased are at risk of being breached. These are:  


  • Test 3 The rate of infection decreasing to 'manageable levels'
  • Test 5 : Being confident any adjustments would not risk a second peak that would overwhelm the NHS


Our local approach has been to be cautious, making safe and sensible decisions.


This delay will allow us to continue to review all of the evidence made available to us in the next two weeks and to seek to be more assured that the rate of infection is reducing and R is firmly below 1


In the meantime school will remained closed except for vulnerable and key worker children.


Teachers will be in contact with all families this week to check how everyone is getting on with the home learning packs delivered last week. We aim to deliver more packs early next week.


If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me at


Take care,


James Waddington

Acting Headteacher