At Meadowhead Community Infant School and Nursery we believe that Physical Education taught in a supportive environment, is essential to ensure children attain optimum physical and emotional development and good health. We intend to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities that inspire all children to succeed in physical education and in developing life skills taught by Teachers. We want to teach children skills to keep them safe such as being able to swim. We also want to teach children how our school value of ‘Teamwork’ and the ability to cooperate and collaborate with others as part of an effective team, understanding fairness and equity of play to embed life-long values. Our curriculum aims to improve the wellbeing and fitness of all children at Meadowhead, not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the underpinning values and disciplines PE promotes.
- PE at Meadowhead has a strong focus on children mastering the fundamental movement skills which provide children with the ability to play a range of sporting activities including; invasion games, net & wall games, strike and field games, gymnastics, dance, swimming and outdoor & adventure higher up school.
- The long term plan sets out the PE units which are to be taught throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met.
- Pupils participate in two high quality PE lessons each week, covering two sporting disciplines every half term. In addition, children are encouraged to participate in the varied range of extra-curricular activities.
- Children are invited to attend competitive sporting events against other schools in the local area. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also mental well-being. These events also develop teamwork and leadership skills and are very much enjoyed by the children.
- Children participate in a variety of sports they would not usually experience the year. For example canoeing, orienteering.
- Children in Year 2 swim once a week during the Spring Term so they are able to experience going swimming before learning to swim at the Junior School.
- Children participate in the daily mile everyday at an appropriate time in the day
- We aim for children to have the opportunity to be physically active using a variety of equipment independently at playtime.
We help motivate children to participate in a variety of sports through quality teaching that is engaging and fun. From our lessons, our children learn to take responsibility for their own health and fitness, many of whom also enjoy the success of competitive sports. We equip our children with the necessary skills and a love for sport. They will hopefully grow up to live happy and healthy lives utilising the skills and knowledge acquired through PE.